SC - Margali's scandalous table manners

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 30 07:27:03 PST 1997

margali wrote:

> another thing i have read of that my hub and i do is share one place
> setting, which was also done in period, and at one time i was sitting at
> high table in atlantia, and wasnt really planning to be on board so all
> i could scrounge was a bowl and a roll of paper towels, and i
> scandalized a number of people because i ate and drank everything from
> my bowl, put my meats and other things on a trencher of bread and used
> my fingers and a knife.
> margali

So, you ate in a manner that was more or less common to most parts of
Europe throughout period? How scandalous!

I use a variety of plates, bowls, and drinking vessels, but I actually
eat with a spoon and my fingers (of my right hand only, the other being
decently concealed under toga, mantle, napkin, or table. Generaly people
are surprised at how elegant a person can look eating with the fingers.
Of course, a rose-water-filled fingerbowl helps. My favorite public
reaction was when I removed several steaming hot towels from a large,
wide-mouthed thermos under the table, and distributed them to other
diners who looked a bit messy.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com