SC - A Source Book

Wed Dec 31 10:55:29 PST 1997

While browsing in the State Library yesterday, I came across an
interesting little tome:

Ogg, Frederic Austin, A Source Book of Mediaeval History; American Book
Company, New York, 1907.

The subtitle explains it more fully; Documents Illustrative of European
Life and Institutions from the German Invasions to the Renaissance.

This is a book of excerpts of period documents from Julius Ceasar to
Dante with commentary, notes and source bibliographies.  It includes
speeches, oaths, letters, the Koran, the Magna Carte, student songs,
cermonies of homage and fealty, etc.

Of particular interest to this list is Charlemange's directives as to
how the royal estates are to be run and the inventory of one of his
estates.  I'll key these sections in and send them to the list as time
permits.

A casual perusal of this volume makes me want to carry it away.  I doubt
if it is still in print, but it is going on my want list.

Bear