SC - Marrow, now longer post

margali margali at 99main.com
Tue Dec 2 05:12:59 PST 1997

Morgan wrote:

> > > : margali wrote:
>
> > attereaux are garnishes classically, which became hors-d'oeuvres.
> > use a really fancy mold to make a polenta or rice mold, stick these
> in
> > decoratively and serve to the table as an assiette voulonte, or if
> you
> > have the really small bundlet mold[they make a 3"dia mini bundt
> without
> > a hole in the middle] you could make the mini mold of soubise of
> rice,
> > cut the skewer short, so it fits nicely on top of the rice lump,
> pipe a
> > thickened paste of peas or artichoke base[not the pickled heart, but
> the
> > actual freshly cooked base in season] around the bottom and around
> where
> > the skewer is stuck in, and add little savory mini
> madelaines[scallop
> > shell shaped sponge cookies] decoratively...whatever floats your
> boat.
>
>         HUH???  There are just too many weird terms here . . .I have
> >NO IDEA <
> what you are talking about.  And I would hope I'm not the only
> barbarian in
> this circle.   In  > much < simpler english, Por favor, explain this
> paragraph.  Esp. the following terms:  Attereaux,  Assiette voulonte,
> bundlet mold,  soubise.
>
>         Caointiarn

attereaux-think of them as miniature shishkebobs with a european format.
stack about 3-6 inches of sliced whatever, thread onto a bamboo skewer.
roll in a cold whitesauce, then into crumbs. deep fry til crispy and
golden brown. these are used as a garnish stuck into things. they make
cute gold, silver and brass skewers with fancy ends to use in place of
the skewer after the frying.
assiette voulonte-literally a flying dish, a small dish to be served
between courses or several of them as a 'high tea' sort of thing. if you
like, think of it as an hors d'oeuvre between courses.
bundt mold-that 9" round mold with a swirly top and a hole down the
center-look in the baking isle for boxes of bundt cake mix, they show a
finished one. there is a placque out that makes 2" diameter mini bundts,
called a bundtlet mold or you can find them in flea markets
occasionally.
soubise-cook rice in stock with chopped onion and green peas, i also
like to crumble in bacon, but that is just plain decadence.

hope this helps- i am classically trained, and much of this stuff isnt
common to nouvelle cuisine or standard american rest. cooking
margali