SC - InfoBeat Entertainment @ 12/03/97

Fri Dec 5 08:24:14 PST 1997

>I thought was fairly well established that Sir Walter Raleigh had a potato
>farm in Ireland in 1570 or so.
>
>phlip at morganco.net

Apocryphally, Raleigh introduced the potato to England, but I have seen
no solid documentation of this.  I think it more like the potato was
introduced into continental Europe from Spain and into England by
Francis Drake and his sea dogs.  Wherever it came from, the potato
didn't see serious cultivation until the mid-seventeenth century.  It is
possible that Raleigh grew sweet potatoes, as that vegetable appears to
have become more common in England before 1600.

Bear