SC - an offering...

jeffrey s heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 5 10:44:31 PST 1997

Good day.  I have recently fell upon a recipie from my cousing in Denmark,
and whilst I cannot vouche for any periodicity of the item, she said it
was a marmelade well worth the trouble.  Having seen some non-periods
floating along, I thought this might be acceptable...

Of course we have a recipe!  For every 750 g cleaned rose hips, you use 500
g sugar and 1/2 water and one teaspoonful of thickening agent.  You boil
the rose hips and the water for 20 minutes covered.  Then you add most of
the sugar (say 450 g of it) , stir to dissolve, and boil an additional 10
minutes or until the hips are tender.  Finally, you add the thickener (over
here it is called Melatine,
<<use a canning gelatin>>
 mixed in with the remaining sugar.  Pour into jars
and the rest is obvious!!!  Good luck with it.  Be careful of the thorns
when picking the hips, and be sure to wear rubber gloves when you clean
them as those fibers are itchy!  We generally just cut the hips in half and
then remove all the seeds.  It is quite a bit of work!  In all, we had 3.2
kg of cleaned hips, which made about 7 liters of marmelade in all!!!!  I
brought a jar with to work today to eat with the traditional Friday morning
bread, and it disappeared very quickly!  So that is encouraging.