SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #462

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Dec 5 12:31:26 PST 1997

Ulf wrote:
>Anyone know of a period recipie? I've had these fried, more or less
>straight of the lamb, but with the recent years things have changed
>(i.e. immigration form other parts of the world) such that it might be
>possible to obtain enough of these to serve at a feast...

And Adamantius repilied:
>I don't recall having seen medieval recipes that refer specifically to
>testicles. There are a few Roman recipes for various elaborate mixed
>stews and patinae that call for capon testicles, IIRC. Somewhere along
>the line I have seen recipes for pig's or lamb's fry, but as I recall,
>it wasn't immediately clear whether the main ingredient was testicles or
>unborn, fetal animals.

In one of my slightly OOP sources I have a recipe for the testicles of Red
Deer, if any one is interested. I believe it's in lady Castle Hill's receipt
book, but I could be mistaken.

At any rate, the testicles are the main ingredient, and are cooked/served
sliced, IIRC, in a sauce.

I'll look for it as soon as possible provided I get a request. Be patient,
tho, 'cause I just fell and injured the good knee (can one get a Laurel for
the art of falling down, I wonder? I do it so very well!) Blast this
wretched snow, anyway. It's on the ground four hours, and down I go.

Let me know about the recipe. My sources were recently re-gathered from
various places about the house, so they're all easily searchable again.

Aoife