SC - Re: Cracknels

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 7 08:16:52 PST 1997

Master Huon asked what cracknels were.  This is from _'Banquetting
Stuffe'_, page 96-97, the chapter written by Peter Brears.

"Various other sponge-textured biscuits became popular during the
seventeenth-century - the Naples biscuits, Italian biscuits, Prince
biscuits, drop biscuits, almond biscuits, lemon biscuits, shell-bread,
etc. - all made from combinations of ine flour, sugar, eggs, and
various flavourings.  In addition, there were both cracknells and
jumbals, which had originally been plunged into a pan of boiling water,
from which, after a short time, they rose to the surface, were caught
in a skimmer and only then transferred to the oven.  By the seventeenth
century, however, the boiling process had been largely abandoned."

Brears then goes on to give a cracknell recipe from 1671, _The Compleat
Cook_, which does not go through the boiling process.  I would suspect
that you would need a recipe from a similar time period.  If I can find
one, I will post it, but perhaps others have a recipe at hand???

Alys Katharine