SC - Request for documentation: Honey Glazed Vegetables

Philip & Susan Troy troy at spambegone.asan.com
Mon Dec 8 08:43:19 PST 1997

Maddie Teller-Kook wrote:

> Gunther,
> This recipe is from Terence Scully's latest cookbook: Early French
> Cooking. This recipe is a redaction from the Menagier de Paris.
>
> Honey Glazed Vegetables:
>
> for 5 lbs vegetables:
>
> 1 lb each (or chose any mix of a total = 5 lbs).

I could be wrong, but I think the recipe you mention is a very loose
adaptation of the recipe in Le Menagier [Take 500 new nuts, etc.], which
is essentially a sweet, spicy pickle of mixed vegetables, including
green nuts, carrots, pears, etc. There are similar recipes in both the
Forme of Cury (composte) and in Ein Buoch Von Guter Spise (the latter
using a similar sauce for cucumbers or root vegetables).

The only parsnip recipe I can think of, offhand, apart from parsnip
fritters of various kinds and composte, is from quite late period, or
after. I think it's in either Hugh Plat's "Delites for Ladies", or in
Digby's Closet. It is essentially boiled, mashed, parsnips, pureed with
butter and a bit of the cooking liquid to a creamy consistency. I'll see
if I can find it.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at spambegone.asan.com

Sentient beings should remove the "spambegone." portion of our address
before replying.