SC - Fritelles

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Mon Dec 8 15:46:11 PST 1997

Huen said:

>Scully says Clary is Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) which "has tall
>flowering spikes and a taste reminiscent of grapefruit." He also goes on
>to say that the Liber de coquina has another version of the recipe that
>"offers a broad choice in the matter of flavoring by specifying
>elderflowers or any other flower."
>
>I would prefer to use actual Clary in this recipe: does anyone know of
>availability or a viable substitute?

I think that I have grown this herb in the past.  If it is the same one, it
is a biennial (lives for only 2 years) with big leaves covered with white
hairs or fluff. It ought to be available either as seeds from a seed company
that deals with a lot of herbs, or possibly as a transplant from a large
nursery that carries many herbs.  How immediately do you need the stuff?
This might be a project that will have to wait til next spring perhaps.  You
might think about using plain old garden sage.  Certainly the flavor will be
a bit different, but the plants are in the same genus & fresh sage is
available in most grocery stores.  If you want to try to duplicate the
citrusy flavor, you might try leaves from beebalm (Monarda sp).  It has a
citrus flavor like that of the bergamot in Earl Grey Tea & this herb is used
to make a tea on its own.  Probably fresh beebalm leaves would also have til
spring.
                Hope this helps,
                                Antoine
Dan Gillespie