SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #470

Charissa ladycharissa at geocities.com
Wed Dec 10 15:12:49 PST 1997

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, david friedman wrote:

> -more precisely "here is someone else who wants a medieval excuse for
> what he has already decided to cook." At it happens, I was wrong--it
> was clear that the poster actually wanted a medieval recipe fitting
> his vague memory of one he thought he had heard of. But
> "documentation," in SCA culture, quite routinely means  "evidence
> that X, which I have already decided to do, is period,"  which
> rapidly degrades into "might possibly be period."

Another possibility is this:  If someone has a logical extrapolation of
things they know to be period, but wishes to find concrete evidence for
this assumption before claiming it's period.

For example, lets assume I have some recipies for beef pies from country
X in time period Z, and I know that those people also kept pigs, but I
can find no recipies for pork pies... Wouldn't asking if anyone had
documentation for such a thing be appropriate?

Marjorie
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/1258
For you and I are one-way ticket
Holders on that one-way street
Which lies across a golden valley
Where the waters of joy and hope run deep.