SC - A bit bland...

Fri Dec 12 06:55:07 PST 1997

> suggested a jam topping.  Any
>>suggestions.
>
>Greetings,
>        I'm not quite sure how period PEACHES are..but I have made  a peach
>jam for quite a few years, and it's great with almond flavors! (But I think
>it's excellent with anything) ;)
>
>Lady Fiona Gwen O'brannigan
>From the Barony of Northkeep
>(mka-Angela Conn -   fianna at geocities.com)
>All I want is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Peaches (Prunis persica) were being cultivated in China before 500 B.C.
They were traded into the Middle East after Jang Qian's diplomatic
mission (to find allies against the Huns) into Central Asia in 140 B.C.
In 65 B.C., Pompey had peaches transplanted to Rome from Persia.
Apparently, peaches spread with the Roman advance to everywhere they
could be grown in Europe.

In 1513 C.E., the Spainish planted peaches in Florida and in 1618 C.E.,
English gardeners were warned not to prune peaches in England's cold
climate.

So, I would say peaches were available and eaten in much of Europe
during period.

Bear