SC - A bit bland...

jeffrey s heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 12 12:16:22 PST 1997

On 12 Dec 1997, Marisa Herzog wrote:

>                       RE>SC - A bit bland...                       12/12/97
>
> <snip>
> I have recently whipped up an almond tart, which is remarkably period,
> <snip>
>
> RECIPE?!  please, please!!!
> -brid

Okay, first off, the peach perserves did the trick, and the thing is
edible, and even tasty.  Thank you to all for your assistance.    For the
recipe I worked mainly from the original, but I will put the redaction
with it.  Once again it is from "To the Queen's Taste", by Lorna Sass.
The recipe itself is out of The good Huswives handmaid, which is 1588.

To make a tart of almonds Blanch almonds and heat them, and strain them
fine with good thicke Creame.  Then put in Sugar and Rosewater, and boyle
it thicke.  Then make your paste with butter, fair water, and the yolks of
two or three Egs, and so soone as ye have driven your paste, cast on a
little sugar, and rosewater, and harden your paste afore in the oven.
Then take it out and fill it, and set it in againe, and let it bake till
it be wel, and so serve it.

"Paste":
1/4 # butter
1 1/2 C flour
egg yolk
Ice water,
Teaspoon confectioners sugar,
teaspoon rosewater

mix, cool for an hour on wax paper, after it is shaped into a ball, then
roll in the paper, and transfer to the pie plate, then removing the paper.

Tart:
1 1/2 C blanched almonds, coarsely ground
1 1/2 C heavy cream
1 tbs + 1tsp sugar
4 tsp Rosewater

Bake paste at 425 for 10 min, then reduce to 350 and bake an additional 5
minutes.  Let cool.
Combine ingredients in a heavy saucepan, boil gently for ten minutes,
stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of a
pudding.
Fill paste.
Bakea t 350 for 30min or until top is golden
Cool on wire rack, refrigerate for at least two hours.