SC - pre-1500 cookery

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Dec 16 00:59:23 PST 1997

>Which brings up a subject :-).......for curiousity's sake, what is the
>fascination with early modern cookery in the SCA as opposed to true medieval
>cookery?

I'm not well qualified to answer the question, but here are some
possibilities, none of which are probably sufficient to explain everyone.

1. Ten years ago, the French/English medieval cuisine had been at least
moderately well explored, so if you wanted to break new ground, one
direction to go was nouvelle cuisine.

2. People in the SCA are fascinated with the question "can I prove that
such an such which stuffy people who don't believe in having fun claim is
OOP was really being done by late December of 1600." If you are trying to
"document" tomatoes, potatoes, coffee, chocolate, ..., the sixteenth
century is the place to look.

3. Some people prefer cookbooks written in something very close to modern
English.

4. There are a lot of Tudors about.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/