SC - documentation--lon

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Tue Dec 16 12:35:45 PST 1997

                      RE>>SC - documentation--longer answer        12/16/97

<snip>A "can this be documented" question, at least in the context I was
discussing (and objecting to), means that you have a recipe from some
non-medieval source and want to know if there is evidence that it is period.
That seems to me to have two problems. <snip>I don't think it is off limits.
My post was explaining why my reaction to a question of that sort is a
negative one--obviously other people may feel differently.
David/Cariadoc
<snip>

I think many of the threads that have occured on this list show that a lot of
the rest of us do feel differently about this particular phrasing, perhaps it
has to do with the majority of us not having a backround in legal linguistics?
;)
Tho I have been guilty of finding something "modern" that seems plausible for
period, and asking about it in this same way, I was not looking for the proofs
that his Grace assumes at this sort of question.  I was just looking for
information and enlightenment on an interest.  If the questioning is
discouraged just because the language used is awkward for some, then we all
learn less than if the question had just been answered with a "no, it can't
documented but...something equally interesting" or "yes, book such and such
goes on in detail about blah".  And next time the question might not get asked
at all.  Considering how many different people are on this list from different
places and walks of life, dismissing a certain subject heading because of word
usage is a loss to all, because we simply can't all have the same vocabulary
or understanding of phrases.  I think I have yet to run across anybody on this
list looking to justify something they have already done without any other
research... and comparing modern and non-modern is as legitimate a way of
learning as any...
- -brid
(speaking of vocabulary, is not sure if she said what she meant to say ;) )