SC - Stew/Soup.

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Dec 17 11:38:01 PST 1997

At 10:22 AM -0800 12/17/97, Russell Gilman-Hunt wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone had a tasty redaction for a lentil stew/
>soup dish that they had tried for a group of people?

This is one of our standards, both for events and at home. From the
_Miscellany_.
- ---

Cooked Dish of Lentils
al-Andalusi p. C-5 (no. 377) (Good)

Wash lentils and put them to cook in a pot with sweet water, oil, pepper,
coriander and cut onion. When they are cooked throw in salt, a little
saffron and vinegar; break three eggs, leave for a while on the flame and
later retire the pot. Other times cook without onion. If you wish cook it
with Egyptian beans pricked into which have been given a boil. Or better
with dissolved yeast over a gentle fire. When the lentils begin to thicken
add good butter or sweet oil, bit by bit, alike until it gets absorbed,
until they are sufficiently cooked and have enough oil. Then retire it from
the flame and sprinkle with pepper.

1 1/2 c dried lentils = 10 oz	2 medium onions = 1/2 lb	(Egyptian
beans)
2 1/4 c water	3/4 t salt	(yeast)
1 1/2 T oil	12 threads saffron	4 T butter (or oil)
3/8 t pepper	2 T vinegar	more pepper
1 1/2 t coriander	4 eggs

Slice onions. Put lentils, water, oil, pepper, coriander and onion in a
pot, bring to a boil, and turn down to a bare simmer. Cook covered 50
minutes, stirring periodically. Add butter or oil and cook while stirring
for about 5 minutes. Add salt, saffron (crushed into 1 t water) and
vinegar, and bring back to a boil. Put eggs on top, cover pot and keep
lentils at a simmer; stir cautiously every few minutes in order to scrape
the bottom of the pot without stirring in the eggs. We find that if the
heat is off, the eggs don't cook; if the heat is up at medium, the eggs
cook, but the lentils start to stick to the pot. A larger quantity might
hold enough heat to cook the eggs without leaving it on the flame. When the
eggs are cooked, sprinkle with a little more pepper and serve. Makes 5 1/4
c.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/