SC - pre-1500 cookery

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Thu Dec 18 08:41:32 PST 1997

My opinion?  (Not that it matters much ;D) Is the same reason that there are a lot of people who want to know what the Vikings and early Celts wore.  We don't have documentation for it and that makes it more interesting from a research and speculative stand point.  Like the theories of "well, they had pigs and apples, and I once saw a picture of a pig roasted with an apple in its mouth in an old book, so they must have done that then."

Me personally?  I have a Manx persona from around 1150 ad which means my lord is Viking and my Mother was Welsh and My father was Manx.  So what would my persona eat?  I want to know darn it.... And I would prefer not to speculate, I want facts.  And the current facts are (and I have discussed this with two History department professors on the Isle of Man currently) that there is no written documentation as to what they ate, and very little documentation as to what they wore.  This intrigues me...

Murkial ($.02, which makes this opinion worth nothing in Australia which is about what it is worth to many people.  :D)