SC - pre-1500 cookery

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Dec 19 11:52:50 PST 1997

At 7:01 AM -0500 12/19/97, Kathleen M Everitt wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:03:15 EST Tyrca <Tyrca at aol.com> writes:
>
>>The answer might be in the fact that there are more cookbooks
>>available the
>>later one gets, and that the later ones are easier to read and redact
>>than the
>>earlier ones.  Comments anyone?
>>
>>Tyrca
>
>Oh, definitely! Not only that, but they are easier (and cheaper) to get!
>Falconwood Press has had a whole series of late period books available
>for about $5.00 each at events for quite some time. Sallets, Humbles and
>Shrewsberry Tarts and To the Queen's Taste were available mail order from
>one of the book sellers (Barnes and Noble, maybe?) years ago. It's only
>recently, since I went online that I've been able to get info on earlier
>books and on a lot of the primary sources.

_Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_ was reprinted around 1960 or so, and
pretty generally available; more recently _Curye on Englysche_. I don't
know what is available at events, but in the general book market I would
think they were more available than the Falconwood reprints, the latter
being a very small specialty house. _To the King's Taste_ was published
before _To the Queen's Taste_ and deals with the earlier period. There are
other available early sources as well.

The question is whether what you are seeing at events is the reason later
cooking is more popular, or a consequence of later cooking being more
popular.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/