SC - pre-1500 cookery

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Sat Dec 20 17:05:35 PST 1997

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:16:10 -0400 Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
writes:
>LrdRas wrote:

 But--I'd also have to point out that a knowledge of
>modern cookery is a useful tool for early-period cooks as well. Food
>is
>still food, and an understanding of how food behaves under given
>circumstances pretty well transcends time periods. I've found a good
>background in basic (esoteric, too!) cooking is invaluable for
>understanding period cookery, either early or late.
<snip>

>> Since I
>> enjoy more exotic flavors in my food I would not be drawn to a style
>that
>> number 3 would suggest. Ergo, I have never had an interest in
>studying late
>> period cookery a single iota.
>
>Well, here I think we differ. What's exotic? I know people who look
>with
>deep suspicion on any dish that the cook has been seen to add a little
>black pepper. Others are a bit more tolerant of things outside their
>experience. Late period cookery is different from medieval cookery,
>but
>with significant differences from modern cookery, and with significant
>similarities to what came before and after, as well. It represents a
>step on the evolutionary ladder from early to modern, and is often a
>useful tool in helping supply vital information a sketchy medieval
>recipe might lack. Speculative, yes. Shot in the dark, no. I guess the
>point is that even if we aren't thrilled by a field of study, we can't
>afford to discount the potential value of something we have abandoned
>as
>a resource.
>

>Adamantius

I have found a cookbook which gives a wonderful insight on this sort of
thought called _The Universal Kitchen_ By Elisabeth Rozin. In it she goes
through the similarities of dishes, by picking one cooking method per
chapter and showing samples of different counties' recipes using that
method. It shows that cooking is cooking regardless of the taste change.
(not that I'm going to stop research or anything, but it does boost your
confindence level)
Lady Beatrix