SC - rabbit recipes

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Tue Dec 23 09:48:46 PST 1997

The bunny recipe you quoted is from _An Ordindance of Pottage: An
Edition of the Fifteenth Century Culinary Recipes in Yale University's
MS Beinecke 163_ by that Saint of the Society, Constance B. Hieatt. It's
a really good book and copies are occasionally avalible through Posion
Pen Press.

The original on page 71 (number 96)
Cold bruet of rabets.
Grynd reysons or datys; draw hem up with osey. Put therto creme of
almond & poudyr of canel, a grete dele, drawyn with swete wyn; poudyr
lumbard, poudur of greynez, & poudyr of gynger & a lytyll of venyger &
whyte sygure. Set hit on the fyre; when hit ys at boylyng, take hit of &
put hit in a boll. Have rabets boyled, & that in good broth, & salt;
take hem up. Unlace hem by the bake for the bonnys on both sydys; ley
hem in sewe. Serve hem forth; ley hem in dyschys & poure on the sew
therto. Serve hit forth, & yf thu wylt, thu may chop hem in pecys. & yf
thu have chikenys, reys the whynges & the thyes of hem, kepe hem; & chop
the body. & when hit ys in the sewe, serve hit forthe in the same manner
as Sewe ryall.

Crystal of the Westermark