SC - plant grafting

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Wed Dec 24 01:57:04 PST 1997

>. I can have a list of most of the extant
> varieties that are still widely cultivated and used today that are the
same as
> those used in the Middle Ages. I will post this info within a week if
there is
> interest.

I for one, am most interested, as there will be a winery as well as a
brewery and maybe even (if Brandu ever gets off his butt:-)) a distillery
at Puck's Glen within a few years.

>  IMHO, we moderns sometimes let our ego get in the way and
> assume that we have perfected just about everything. Not true. There are
many
> elements of agriculture, engineering and other fields of study that have
shown
> no major improvements during the modern era and in some cases, we have
> degenerated. particularly in fruist and vegetable varieties , loosing
much of
> flavor in exchange for portability of the product.

> Ras

as is well evidenced each spring when you (those of you that do) buy your
seed packets for your vegetable patch.  Most of the seeds you buy are
hybrids.  Most of these hybrids don't reproduce properly if at all ie:
plant a seed from your average hybrid and IF it grows, you will not have a
plant that is like the parent.  The danger in this is finally becoming
apparent to many of us, and has fostered a small quiet heirloom seed
movement. There are many of us that will, where possible, grow only
heirloom varieties.  The two main reasons the seed industry leaders are so
hot on hybrids is that a) they are bred to produce bigger 'fruit' though,
IMHO less tasty, and b) you can't harvest the seeds and grow more next
year.  You have to keep going back to the manufacturer and shelling over
you sheckels for new seeds every year.

Think I'll stay up on m'lord's soap box for awhile, kinda like the view,
Puck