SC - recipe request

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Thu Dec 25 20:17:00 PST 1997

On Wed, 24 Dec 97 02:28:22 PST "kappler" <kappler at edgenet.net> writes:
>If I may trouble the list, I have a friend looking for a recipe for
>'acorn
>cakes'?  Can't imagine why as acorns are so bitter, but then again so
>are
>hops and you know how we Pucks love our beer!:-)
>

>Merry Yule, Puck
ok, Puck, 2 acorn recipes:

Acorn muffins
1C acorn flour
1C cornmeal
1C flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp onion or garlic salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 C milk
2 Tbsp. bacon drippings melted

preheat oven to 425F, sift together the dry ingredients. Beat egg and
milk together, stir in the bacon drippings. Add liquid to dry ingredients
and stir just until moistened, don't over mix. Pour into well greased
muffin tins and bake 15 min. or until brown and crusty (18 muffins)

Acorn griddle bread

1 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. wild leeks (white part) or chives, chopped
1C cornmeal
1C acorn flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp flour
1C buttermilk
1 egg, well beaten
1 tsp Tabasco, or other hot pepper sauce

Melt butter in a small skillet over low heat and cook leeks/chives until
wilted but not brown. Sift together dry ingredients. Add buttermilk and
leeks/chives to dry ingredients and stir well. Stir eggs and hot sauce
into batter. Drop by Tbsp. onto hot greased griddle and bake until
bubbles at edges begin to break, turn and bake until the 2nd side is
brown. (serves 4)

For acorn flour, you need to:
Put the decupped, cracked and hulled acorns in a pot cover them with
boiling water, and boil from 2-4 hours, changing the water for fresh,
already boiling water whenever it becomes dark. They are leached enough
when they no longer have bitter taste. They will darken as they cook.
Drain and let dry off, then roast them for about an hour in a 300F oven.
then you can eat them as nuts or grind them into flour, using either a
food processor, or a grain mill.

>From Billy Joe Tatum's Wild foods field Guide and Cookbook. true, the
recipes are OOP, but there you have the ones I have....
Lady Beatrix