SC - Gumbo receipt

DianaFiona DianaFiona at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 22:03:12 PST 1997

<<
 Brandu
 ( who would rather buy than grow his saffron, because:
 1)   It requires more than a half acre of saffron crocus plants to yield
 an ounce of saffron.
 2)   SOMEONE has got to *pick* the saffron, and they had better know
 *what* to pick, and *how* to do it with out damaging the stamens of the
 plant.  That means a LOT of bending or kneeling in the spring-moist
 dirt.
 3)   it needs to be dried and roasted to bring out the flavor and color.
 This requires skill and practice.  If you do this wrong the whole batch
 is spoiled!  Poor drying could yield a mold that is not pleasant
 tasting, and bad roasting could yield a most bitter flavor or off color.
 Keep this in mind, dear, self-sufficient, Puck...)

     A couple of minor quibbles--make that "kneeling in the *autumn*-moist
dirt", since the saffron crocus blooms in the fall. And while I am by no means
an expert on the topic, the article in the recent issue of "Kitchen Garden"
that discussed saffron growing by the Penn. Dutch made no mention that I can
recall of any need to roast the spice. Dry it, yes, certainly, although the
article indicated that to be easy enough, but roasting wasn't mentioned.......
But I certainly agree that growing saffron in quantiy would take far more
space and labor than I have to give right now. But a small bed would certainly
be nice, just for the fun of it. That *is* a large chunk of the reason for
gardening these days after all--and besides, the flowers are pretty! ;-)

       Ldy Diana