SC - Marrow Dishes: Osso Bucco

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Tue Dec 30 15:15:44 PST 1997

Hi from Sylvan Glen:
        This may or may not be quite what you're looking for, in regards to
a soup made from shank bones.  The source is the ever popular Arte de
Cozina, published in Spain in 1607.  The dish of Olla Podrida was quite well
known & was mentioned in the book "Don Quixote".  Olla Podrida means "rotten
pot", or so I have read.  It is a nice all purpose stew for whatever meat
you might have on hand.  There are also several recipes for lambs head,
lambs feet & pigs feet, none of which I've tried yet.  I can post some of
these if anyone is interested.  Hope this helps,
                        Antoine

Book I Chap 53  How to make Olla Podrida

To make olla podrida, cast lamb, beef, bacon, pigs feet, head, pork
sausages, tongues, doves, wild duck, hare, beef tongue, garbanzo beans,
garlic & turnips, if it is their time, & the meat that each one wishes; mix
it all in the clay pot, & cook it a lot; add your spices & after it is well
cooked, amke plates of it, with mustard or ("dessotra"....I couldn't find
this word) & on top of the plates, cast parsley, because that looks nice &
it is very good.
Dan Gillespie
dangilsp at intrepid.net
Dan_Gillespie at usgs.gov