SC - cracknels

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Sun Dec 7 02:54:41 PST 1997

Greetings,
   I'm redacting the following recipe:

64. Garlins/Taillis: Taillis. Take figs, grapes, boiled almond milk,
cracknels, galettes and white bread crusts cut into small cubes and boil
these last items in your milk, with saffron to give it colour, and
sugar, and set all of this to boil until it is thick enough to slice.
Set it out in bowls. (Le Viandier de Taillevent, Terence Scully's
edition)

Can anyone give me an idea of what is meant by the "cracknels?"
Incidentally, a Medieval Literature/French Major at WVU has translated
"galettes" for me as small cakes or "puffy" crepes - like a pancake. I'm
assuming the cracknels are something similar to the galeetes and the
bread crusts, but can find no real definition in any of my sources.

Thanks!
Master Huen/Jim Matterer
http://www.labs.net/dmccormick/huen.htm