SC - Fritelles

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Mon Dec 8 14:22:44 PST 1997

James L. Matterer wrote:

> For Lord Ras:
>
> 177. (Clary Fritters): Take the herb called clary and grind it, steep it
> in pure water and beat well sieved flour into this; add in some honey
> and a little white wine and beat these together until smooth; then fry
> small spoonfuls of this mixture in oil, as is done for fritters, and put
> rosemary generously on each fritter; squeeze your fritters between two
> blades to drain off the oil, then put them in a fine new pot beside the
> fire. Dress them on a plate with sugar. (Le Viandier de Taillevent,
> Terence Scully's edition, p. 297)
>
> Scully says Clary is Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) which "has tall
> flowering spikes and a taste reminiscent of grapefruit." He also goes on
> to say that the Liber de coquina has another version of the recipe that
> "offers a broad choice in the matter of flavoring by specifying
> elderflowers or any other flower."
>
> I would prefer to use actual Clary in this recipe: does anyone know of
> availability or a viable substitute?
>
> Yours,
> Huen/Jim Matterer
> http://www.labs.net/dmccormick/huen.htm

The essential oil of clary sage is widely available (several brands) at
any local health food store.(In VA- hopefully, the same where you are)
You should be able to get the DRIED herb in the bulk herb section, as
well.  Your health food store might be able to order fresh for you, or
you may be able to special order it through the produce dept. of your
local grocery. (Giant, in this area gets fresh herbs, including sage.
Though I've not yet seen clary sage, I haven't asked.)
For use in aromatherapy, some folks use regular cooking sage (salvia
officianalis) in place of clary sage, but the smell is very different.
Regular sage has the familiar smell I associate with sausage & stuffing,
clary sage has a smell that is musky, earthy & reminds me of
fresh-turned earth in a vegetable garden (In a GOOD way!)
:)  If you can't get clary, you could TRY sage.  BTW the smell of clary
sage is wonderful for relaxation, combatting stress, depression and
tension.
Bon chance
Angelique