SC - Disgusting recipes

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Wed Dec 10 16:25:29 PST 1997

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Jeanne Stapleton wrote:
[snip]
> I just had to mention:
>
> 	Vegemite Quiche (taken from the back of an Australia jar
> 				of vegemite, submitted by an En Zedder)
Vegemite quiche (like vegemite and avocado toast, and lots of other stuff
with vegemite) is actually good.

For those who are unsure, vegemite is made by taking the yeast deposit
left after brewing beer. Add a lot of salt, a few other things, and you
have a black substance that looks a bit like tar. (But then my mother ate
tar Ice-cream in Helsinki last month. And I know of somebody called
Cariadoc, who is a respectable person with a proper job. It does take all
sorts)

I heard of an australian who went to Czechoslovakia in the early
eighties. He took, as Australians do, a survival jar of Vegemite (About a
pint).

It should be noted that while some of us eat vegemite spread like
cheese on a pizza, most eat it spread VERY thin - the amount that would
sit on my (large) thumbnail is plenty for the average vegemite sandwich.

At any rate, when he got to the customs point he was asked what the
substance in the jar was. To which he replied, naturally enough, "food".
Unfortunately the official, having smelled the contents, and looked at
them, felt taht this was an at best unlikely story. After a short
discussion, he decided it could be proven by the traveller. So a spoon
was produced. In the end it proved necessary only to eat about half the
contents.

(I like a lot of vegemite, but I think I would have a hard time getting
that far)

Charles