SC - Documentation? Liberties?

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Dec 11 07:41:53 PST 1997

> From ladycharissa at geocities.com Wed Dec 10 17:21:57 1997
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:12:49 -0500
> From: Charissa <ladycharissa at geocities.com>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #470
> Sender: owner-sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>
> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, david friedman wrote:
>
> > -more precisely "here is someone else who wants a medieval excuse for
> > what he has already decided to cook." At it happens, I was wrong--it
> > was clear that the poster actually wanted a medieval recipe fitting
> > his vague memory of one he thought he had heard of. But
> > "documentation," in SCA culture, quite routinely means  "evidence
> > that X, which I have already decided to do, is period,"  which
> > rapidly degrades into "might possibly be period."
>

> For example, lets assume I have some recipies for beef pies from country
> X in time period Z, and I know that those people also kept pigs, but I
> can find no recipies for pork pies... Wouldn't asking if anyone had
> documentation for such a thing be appropriate?
>
> Marjorie

For example, Duke Cariadoc asked about the saffron rice I was planning
on using. Although I think there may have been a recipe for it I never
bothered to look. Figuring how the Medieval cook loved saffron and how
nicely it colors rice, I thought it would be fairly common on a table
where rice was served.  This is one of those instances where as a
neophyte historical cook I could be making an error by having no
documentation for such a dish, I would probably still make it because it
seems to make sense.

If His Grace is unaware of a saffron rice recipe then it is either not
period or is one of those things where it was never written down. But
as the cook and having a little saffron left over, I will throw it in
anyway.

Yers,

Gunthar