SC - Castration - OT (phew!)

margali margali at 99main.com
Thu Dec 11 08:12:01 PST 1997

> The traditional way is a slice with an extremely sharp knife, pop it
> out,
> slice it off, slather with a soap/water solution, let him run
> squealing across
> the pasture. It sounds awful but healling is accomplished in less time
> than
> the rubber band thingy. IMHO, this is another area where the naniaml
> rights
> far to the what-ever side  crazies have had undo influence.
>
> Ras

GRAPHIC ALERT
when i still kept sheep, as i had a ram as well as ewes, the inevitable
happened, spring lamb. the adult sheep had docked tails- they were
removed shortly after birth. well, in a fit of laziness, i didn't remove
them, and wonder of wonders, nothing happened. the reason sheeps tails
are removed is to keep the feces from caking in the area. i noticed the
lambs had no problems with caking, but the adults who did have them
docked had some minor problems with it. AND the upshot of it? I got to
try a middle eastern cooking ingredient- the fat from sheeps tails. very
interesting as a cooking fat for pilaf and other things, added a nice
lamb overtone to the foods. so? when ever i keep sheep, i will not be
docking the tails, so i can have the tail fat for cooking.
margali