SC - (Welsh Cookbook?) that post that went whipping by

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 11 10:16:51 PST 1997

Hey, anyone have any insight into that Welsh cookbook
reference that whipped by this morning (in my last digest).
I didn't see any responses, but I "could" eat 12th century
Welsh food easier than 16th century Italian. ;)
(My persona is 12th century Irish).

===
One man's fish is another man's poisson.

Conchobar
Jambe de Leon, AoA, WOAW
A&S Champion of Three Mountains
Apprentice to Ollamh Lono of Adiantium

- ---sca-cooks <owner-sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG> wrote:

> sca-cooks         Thursday, December 11 1997         Volume 01 :
Number 472

> In this issue:
>
>     Re: SC - Disgusting recipes
>     Re: SC - Castration - OT (phew!)
>     Re: SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly
>     Re: SC - Castration - OT (p
>     Re: SC - Disgusting recipes
>     Re: SC - Lcra-documentation
>     Re: SC - Why "Request for documentation" is a bad subject title
>     SC - re:  omaha steaks anomaly
>     Re: SC - Disgusting recipes
>     Re: SC - Gunthar-HELP!
>     Re: SC - Lcra-documentation
>     Re: SC - Castration - OT (p
>     Re: SC - re:  omaha steaks anomaly
>     SC - Drink suggestions?
>     Re: SC - attachment
>     Re: SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly
>     Re: SC - Drink suggestions?
>     Natural History of the Nauga (was Re: SC - Lcra-documentation) OT
>     Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #470
>     Re: SC - Why "Request for documentation" is a bad subject title
>     Re: SC - Drink suggestions?
>     Re: SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly
>     Re: SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly
>     Re: SC - Drink suggestions?
>     SC - Re: The powers that (might or might not) be
>     re: SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly
>     Re: SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly

> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:14:49 -0400
> From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at spambegone.asan.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Disgusting recipes
>
> Jeanne Stapleton wrote:
>
> > I've been intermittently cruising the web looking at other
historical
> > food sites in my research process--I'm not only interested in
> > medieval/Renaissance food--and I found two things this afternoon
> > I just had to mention:
> >
> >         Vegemite Quiche (taken from the back of an Australia jar
> >                                 of vegemite, submitted by an En
Zedder)

> Does that strike you as substantially worse than all the things that
> Americans put Lipton's Onion Soup mix in? Yeah, it sounds awful,
> especially when the advertising department demands you name the dish
> something that bad. I have been known to use various vegetable stock
> mixes in place of meat stock AND salt in some of my cooking for
> non-meat-eaters. Of course, I wouldn't call the dish Potage a la
> Knorr-Swiss, since I don't expect the entire character of my dish to
> rely on the more peculiar ingredients.
>
> >         Swabian Liver Dumplings (which are, according to the
> >                                         submitter, period,
although he didn't
> >                                         have any kind of cite to
mail me)

> They probably are period, actually. It would just be difficult to say
> how much their period ancestors resemble the modern article, and I
would
> therefore be inclined to lean away from using a modern recipe for
them,
> for our purposes.
>
> > I suppose if one liked liver (which I don't, unless it's in the form
> > of pate) the second could be quite good if done properly.  I,
> > however, don't like liver.
> >
> > Has anyone else run across something that just sounded unbelievable
> > when cruising through food sources?
>
> How about canned steak-and-kidney pie? Kinda like chunky dog food
under
> this layered amalgam of library paste and car wax, which theoretically
> turns into puff pastry when you bake it. In practice, it doesn't.
>
> Oh. I also once ate instant trifle, for fear of insulting my host. It
> appeared to be a dried, compressed, rectangle of sponge cake, just
like
> the flattened sponges you buy in the hardware store. Just add water
and
> POOF! You then smear it with this sort of jammy goo from a plastic
> packet, and over that goes the Bird's Instant Custard Mix.
>
> I'm not sure if this answers your question in any other than a
spiritual
> way: I don't think there are too many Web pages devoted to such stuff.
> UseNet news, on the other hand...;  )
>
> There wasn't anyone eating while reading this, was there? If so, I
> apologize, as long as what you were trying to eat wasn't instant
trifle,
> of course, in which case you deserve whatever happens.
>
> Adamantius
> ______________________________________
> Phil & Susan Troy
> troy at spambegone.asan.com
>
> Sentient beings should remove the "spambegone." portion of our address
> before replying.

SCA-Cooks".

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:13:21 EST
> From: LrdRas <LrdRas at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Castration - OT (phew!)

> << Me I lean towards the knife - the rubber band stays
>  there for a goodly while, and it seems to me to cater for squeamish
>  farmers rather than unhappy animals.
>
>  Charles >>
>
> The traditional way is a slice with an extremely sharp knife, pop it
out,
> slice it off, slather with a soap/water solution, let him run
squealing across
> the pasture. It sounds awful but healling is accomplished in less
time than
> the rubber band thingy. IMHO, this is another area where the naniaml
rights
> far to the what-ever side  crazies have had undo influence.
>
> Ras

SCA-Cooks".

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:25:24 -0400
> From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at spambegone.asan.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly
>
> Alderton, Philippa wrote:
> >
> > I don't know, Adamantius. I just got one when I bought a magazine;
I was
> > thinking they might grow on trees. Looking at one of my biology
books under
> > parasites, however, I noticed that they fit some of the criteria (by
> > elimination) for fungi- neither animate nor chlorophyl-producing, no
> > obvious reproduction method, no known symbiotic function, etc.
>
> I do realize what you mean, but at first I thought you meant
> "elimination" in a sort of parasitic sense, like the cuckoo who
> supposedly throws the hatchlings of other birds out of the nest to
die,
> substituting its own chicks. Clearly AOL disks cannot reproduce
> independently: perhaps thay are more akin to--dare I say it?--virii?
> After all, they won't stop their attacks on competing organisms until
> all other life forms are destroyed, other than their hosts, of course.
>
> Luckily I have an effective vaccine/antitoxin: I just reformat them. I
> save more money on floppies that way... .
>
>  I'd suggest
> > cooking one up and feeding it to a member of AOL Corporation, to
see if
> > they're edible fungi, but not only do beasts of that sort eat
things not
> > digestible by humans, but I think they're OOP- unless anybody on
the list
> > has a period recipe using similar ingredients we might try? THAT
would make
> > an interesting redaction! Cariadoc, anything in your Miscelleny?
Or Stefan,
> > your Florigellium?
>
> I'll check Curye on Inglysch for a recipe for to makken 6e Leeches 6at
> do succke at 6y braine...that would be the little pests, eh?
>
> Adamantius
> ______________________________________
> Phil & Susan Troy
> troy at spambegone.asan.com
>
> Sentient beings should remove the "spambegone." portion of our address
> before replying.

SCA-Cooks".

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: 10 Dec 1997 16:41:15 -0800
> From: "Marisa Herzog" <marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu>
> Subject: Re: SC - Castration - OT (p
>
>                       RE>>SC - Castration - OT (phew!)
12/10/97

> <snip>
> The traditional way is a slice with an extremely sharp knife, pop it
out,
> slice it off, slather with a soap/water solution, let him run
squealing across
> <snip>

=== message truncated ===