SC - Egg on pizza?

Fri Dec 12 18:21:47 PST 1997

>FWIW:
>Friends of mine who have actually eaten Neapolitan pizza in Napoli
>report that it is often served "to go", on a piece of parchment paper.
>When you eat it on the premises, though, you generally get a little bowl
>of salad and a hardboiled egg, on the side. This could be the origin...
>
>Adamantius
>______________________________________
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at spambegone.asan.com

When I was in Naples 30 odd years ago, I didn't see any pizza parlors,
but you could get pizza at local bakeries.  It was baked in sheet pans
about 1 by 1 1/2 meters.  The topping was usually tomato sauce and
cheese.  It was some of the best pizza I've ever had.

It sounds as though the times they are a changin'.  Maybe they have been
infected by the Denco Darling from here in Norman, Oklahoma (pasta,
chili, lord knows what else, swimming in grease--with a couple eggs on
top), straight from a genuine greasy spoon within walking distance of
the railroad station and the bus station.  All three of them are now out
of business.  The bus stop and Denco's are fern bar/brewpubs and the
railroad station belongs to the historical society (no Amtrak service in
OK).

Bear