SC - pre-1500 cookery

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 15:38:42 PST 1997

<< a bit off the original subject matter
 margali

I suppose even the subtle approach doesn't help in starting a conversation
related to the pre-1500's. <sigh> :-(

Which brings up a subject :-).......for curiousity's sake, what is the
fascination with early modern cookery in the SCA as opposed to true medieval
cookery? Off the cuff, it would appear that early modern is easier therefore a
natural draw. Another reason may be an overwhelming proliferation of late
period personas. Thirdly, the flavors and combinations may be more familiar to
modern palettes.

The first reason would, IMHO, be valid for the cook who was knowledgable about
modern cooking and felt comfortable with the ease of doing similar dishes. As
I am a 14th century Persian, the second reason does not pertain to me. Since I
enjoy more exotic flavors in my food I would not be drawn to a style that
number 3 would suggest. Ergo, I have never had an interest in studying late
period cookery a single iota.

The question is what draws one to late period cookery. Since I am writing an
article for my local Shire newsletter on this subject, I would like to hear
from those drawn to this particular subject so I can present a relitively
unbiased aarticle. Thanks in advance.

Ras