SC - documentation--longer answer

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Dec 16 07:08:40 PST 1997

> To a newcomer like me,  the question begs to be reversed.  Why isn't it
> appropriate to post a general can this be documented type question?  Is
> SCA-Cooks a place to post completed research only?   Is it a place only
> for those with access to more direct sources to post their
> pronouncements?  I'd hoped for a place for those without the skills or
> resources for more scholarly research to post a question in hopes of
> answers ranging from minimal advice to complete documentation.  Of course
> you shouldn't ask for assistance in documenting nacho dip, but a request
> for assistance with a recipe that consists of appropriate ingredients
> doesn't seem like it should be off limits.

As the person who designed this list I believe that it is appropriate to
ask about documentation. Even if the dish is not documentable an alternative
could be presented. Also, this list is not specifically about Medieval and
Rennaissance food. It's about SCA cooking as well. This means such things as
feasts, camp food, snacks, and day boards can be discussed. Also there have
been very enjoyable discussions about foods which are plainly not period but
that we like anyway.

Even the request for "nacho dip" would be answered. Perhaps with a discussion
of how melted cheese was eaten or just a comment of "Well, there's no real
evidence that anything like nacho dip was eaten. But I had this great dip in
a little place in Santa Fe..."

> At least 3 people privately posted to watch out for flaming over such a
> request for documentation.  Happily, that didn't happen.  (yet?)

There shouldn't be private postings to "watch out for flaming". I haven't seen
any real flaming on this list. Some of the posters have left out a little tact
at times and I have usually requested they tone down their response, either
privately or publicly. We have had problems with people getting their feelings
hurt but it's usually because of miscommunication, and not as a result of flames.
I could have had my feelings hurt with some of the comments of Duke Cariadoc. But
instead it opened up a new thread of conversation and I learned some things. Also
I've noticed that's just they way His Grace writes.

It is my hope that everyone on this list holds courtesy in high esteem. Anyone who
is deliberately malicious will be banned.

> On
> another list about a completely unrelated interest, the FAQ attempts to
> train newbies what not to ask and train the rest of us to strictly ignore
> a certain type of inevitable and yet inappropriate post.  One person who
> was tired of flamewars over it responds off list why such a thing isn't
> possible.  It usually works, but the arrangement requires having that one
> person dedicated to fire fighting.   Most people I know have a life and
> no time for safeguarding a list to such an extreme.  But if it makes her
> feel needed . . . *shrug*.

I haven't seen a real need for such a monitor. The few cases of hurt feelings
we've had here were rarely the result of meanness.

> BTW  Is there a FAQ I missed somewhere along the line?  Nothing I
> received from the listserv indicated there were limitations on
> discussion, so I would have eventually asked about the pie.  I only asked
> Friday because someone's response seemed to match my circumstances.

There is not a FAQ file, I don't think one is really needed. This list is open
to all discussion of interest to people who are interested in the history of food,
the SCA, feasts, and just plain fun talk about food in general. If I were so worried
about sticking to content there would have been quite a few enjoyable discussions
killed after the first post. The only rules I really have for this are:

Keep profanity to a minimum. We're all ladies and gentlemen here.

When talking about a recipe, please indicate if it is a period recipe with the source
or if you don't know. This is only to assist the others and to keep misconceptions
at a mininmum.

Rudeness and maliciousness will not be tolerated.

I hope that makes things clearer.

> Anne

Yers,

Gunthar