SC - Castration - OT (phew!)

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Tue Dec 16 08:32:24 PST 1997

Charles wrote:

Somebody wrote about the rubber band method. It is quite common in
sheep-farming, both for castration and docking tails (Does Footrot Flats
sell in America?) But there is a permanent disagreement over which is the
more humane method. Me I lean towards the knife - the rubber band stays
there for a goodly while, and it seems to me to cater for squeamish
farmers rather than unhappy animals.

Charles

Actually, this is done when the animals are very young.  If this is done correctly, supposedly it causes less stress to the animal than when it is done through and actual castration when they are older.  This is also done with young cattle on farms.  The rubber band causes a loss of blood to the area, the only time it seems to cause problems is if the rubber band falls off early, or is not tight enough.  Then it can cause extreme discomfort and infection.

This is similar to de-horning goats when they are young, it doesn't seem to hurt for more than a moment or tow, but if they get to old to burn off the horns, then you must surgically remove the horns and this can cause brain damage and great pain.

Murkial
(the once farm girl with a Mother that was a vet tech)