SC - Bread

Fri Dec 19 21:51:58 PST 1997

>Despite having spent some time with Stephen's pages, I'm still in need
>of a non-period recipe for a multi-grain bread, one that is fairly
>simple and whose dry ingredients can be combined ahead of time and
>kept on hand.
>I'm creating a flower-pot bread kit for my sister and need something
>that will, conceivably, bake well in clay.
>Also, I'm in the middle of applications to culinary school...PCI,
>Johnson and Wales, CIA, and a handful of others.  If anyone has tips
>or insider info, drop me a quick blurb at vesperholly at yahoo.com or
>odonoea4 at wfu.edu.
>Thanks.
>Elizabeth

Depending on what you mean by flower-pot bread kit, try the following:

2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 teaspoons of dry active yeast
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar

Sift these together in a bowl.  Add 1 cup of warm water (105 - 110
degrees F).  Mix thoroughly to form a dough.
Grease the inside of a 1 qt unglazed flower pot.
Place the dough in the flower pot.  Let stand until the dough doubles in
size.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Bake the dough for 40 to 50 minute.  (You really need to test this, as I
have no idea how a clay pot alters the baking time)

You should be able to make a whole wheat bread by using 1 cup all
purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour or a rye by mixing
1 1/3 cup of all purpose flour to 2/3 cup rye flour.

The recipe as given should make about a 1 lb loaf.

Since I've never tried this, it is extremely possible my opinion is in
error.  I strongly recommend experimenting before gifting your sister.

Bear