SC - plant grafting

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Tue Dec 23 13:24:42 PST 1997

- ---"Mark.S Harris" <rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any idea how old plant grafting is? Is it medieval?
> It does not seem to be a very obvious technique to me.

Plant grafting is pre-medieval, at least. I believe that there are
Roman treatises still extant (multiple fruits from the same tree
being a great achievement presented to one of the Emperors as a
wonderment IIRC), and also some mention of pre-Columbian New World
evidence of such practices as well, if not in manuscript then in the
archeological / paleontological record.

Actually, the concept is relatively obvious to the observant
orchardman or horticulturalist in that it occurs naturally. Consider
the situation where two or more trees intertwine and the bark of two
limbs "merges". One of the two trees dies, yet limbs continue to
grow from the survivor that orignated with the original. It becomes
only a matter of time (and a little experimentation) before Man
turns nature to his needs and desires.

Pre-Columbian Native Americans and many other ancient and more
modern peoples take advantage of this behaviour to create marvels of
woodwork without lathe or post-harvest laminations. The ubiquitous
modern grapevine wreath (and the related animal "forms") are another
descendant of such practices, or at least can be.

These relate to cooking and foodways (he says as he wrenches the
thought train back toward cooking) not only in the production of raw
materials for cooking but also in the creation of elaborate serving
trays and centerpieces. Imagine planning twenty years in advance for
a feast's decorations...

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com