SC - lamb

Joseph Tolbert jlt9 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 02:31:04 PST 1997

Greetings:
          A few observations about lamb and sheep in the southeastern
USA . . . I live in Ninety Six ,South Carolina. Until about 1940
my grandfather raised sheep,for meat and wool, and lamb was regularly
eaten. I was born in 1944 , and until 1960,I believe we had lamb
only twice (but there was beef , turkeys , and until mid fifties
hogs - (home cured hams !) still raised).

My wife is from western North Carolina mountains (Brevard).
her family regulary had lamb , and it has continued to be readily
available there.

Lamb is still rare in the grocery stores here , and much higher
priced than beef which seems to lead to a vicious cycle of lamb
cost too much to attract experimentation and new customers, so
there is not enough demand to cause the stores to stock it in
quantity,and through competion drive the price down. One local
market manager told me that one reason that prices are so high
is that they have a lot of waste - the meat goes bad waiting to
be sold ( If people are paying premium price,they want fresh meat.)

Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr.

jlt6 at hotmail.com