SC - recipe request

Sharon L. Harrett Ceridwen at commnections.com
Wed Dec 24 06:17:40 PST 1997

sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:

> If I may trouble the list, I have a friend looking for a recipe for 'acorn
> cakes'?  Can't imagine why as acorns are so bitter,
> Merry Yule, Puck
> =====

Puck,
	Acorns were a staple food for the indigenous peoples of North America.
for centuries. The bitterness in acorns is tannin, which is suloble in
water. The old method was to place your acorns in a net in a running
stream and let the running water carry away the tannin, then roast them
and grind them to meal. Somewhat easier method is to peel your acorns,
then boil them in water, changing the water as it becomes dark with
tannin, until the water remains clear. Drain them, then roast as you
would peanuts in a slow oven until dry and brittle. Grind in a grain
mill or cofffee grinder, or salt and eat them as is. I can't find a
recipe here in the house, but if you can find sources of Native American
recipes, they'll be there. Survival cookbooks also will be useful, as
will the Euell Gibbons publications.
	Oh, by the way, White Oak acorns contain the least tannin, thereby
being the best for food. They are high in protein and B-vitamins, IIRC.

 Happy Gathering!
Ceridwen