SC - RE: Hardly Anyone eats lamb...???

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Fri Dec 26 11:22:29 PST 1997

> Haven't you guys ever seen those old Westerns where the cattle herders
> look down upon the sheep herders, and vice versa? I know it wasn't
> "Shane": that involved generic sodbusters versus ranchers, and my lady
> wife, my usual authority on such matters, is drawing a blank at the
> moment.

Quite so, milord, and a possible reason that hadn't occured to me before
you mentioned it.  If you're looking for Hollywood documentation :-), might
I suggest several of the John Wayne movies. I specifically recall one film
in which the Duke happened upon a hangin'; cattle ranchers were about to
hang a Scotsman because he was also a sheep herder.  It might have been
_Big Jake_.  This, from my studies, appears to have been fairly
commonplace, as the cattlemen felt that sheep would provide too much
competition for their cattle in grazing material.  Fact of the matter is,
sheep and cattle can coexist on the same land quite profitably, and benefit
the land when rotated with sheep following cattle.  You see, cattle like
long grasses, whereas sheep like shorter varieties as well as longs that
have been cropped.  Following cattle with sheep will increase productivity
and yield of an acre of grassland several fold by using more of the grass
as well as more varieties.

my .02, Puck