SC - My Profile

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sun Dec 28 15:57:15 PST 1997

Welcome to the list.
What you really need t do is find a mason who can build a small brick
dome with a floor. A good compromise is a miniature Nissen hut (those
semi-circle things like Gomer Pyle lived in) covered in dirt. Light a
fire in it, let it burn for a while, then sweep out the coals and put
your food in to bake. (This is moderately tricky. Sometimes it worked and
sometimes it didn't quite, and then we lost the oven (and the land it was
on). But this is how many medieval ovens worked)

Or take an oil drum (best one of the 4-gallon olive oil drums in the
supermarket), clean out the oil, and put a rack in it. Heap upthe coals
around it. To do a really good job, cut a strip out of the bottom, and
put in a steel plate about two inches into the thing (to stop the direct
heat). The heavier your container the better, as you can pre-heat it
properly.

Cheers

Charles Ragnar

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Mordonnade wrote:
> I cook hearty meals for my fighters, and the Lords who are friends of our
> household, and our smalls when at War, as a House marches on it's stomach.

Nordmannia actually march on our feet. Specially to feasts... ;)