SC - My Profile

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Dec 28 21:52:32 PST 1997

We recently were discussing doing Dutch oven type of cooking by nestling
the oven in the coals and covering the lid with more coals. That might work
if you were limited to an above-ground fire.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
:
: In a message dated 97-12-28 19:17:12 EST, you write:
:
: <<
:  Welcome to the list.
:  What you really need t do is find a mason who can build a small brick
:  dome with a floor. A good compromise is a miniature Nissen hut (those
:  semi-circle things like Gomer Pyle lived in) covered in dirt. Light a
:  fire in it, let it burn for a while, then sweep out the coals and put
:  your food in to bake. (This is moderately tricky. Sometimes it worked
and
:  sometimes it didn't quite, and then we lost the oven (and the land it
was
:  on). But this is how many medieval ovens worked)
:   >>
:
: Okay, now how do I get the darn thing to War, granted I do only live 15
miles
: from Estrella.  My War Wagon is large and sturdy, but I don't think she
would
: be up to this task.  And I don't think the park officials would
appreciate me
: building a brick building on site.
:
: hehehe
:
: Actually, I do own a couple of Dutch Ovens, but the way I learned to bake
in
: them is to bury them on a bed of coals, and all the sites out here frown
upon
: fires not raised above the ground.
:
: Wonder how well it would work to dig a hole, fill it with coals from a
raised
: fire, and bake that way?  I'd fill the hole back in later, of course.
:
:
: