SC - onion soup (was re: no one eats lamb)

kat kat at kagan.com
Mon Dec 29 13:57:55 PST 1997

Phlip writes:

> French onion soup is another one I got burned out on at an early age, and I
> flat haven't been tempted lately by any of the versions I've seen. If
> anyone out there has what they feel is a really good recipe, send it and
> I'll try it, but most that I've seen lately has been over-salted and filled
> with garbage.

Salt?  Why on Earth spoil a perfectly good onion soup with salt???  <g>

Try this one:

5 yellow onions
Butter
Bottle of white wine (your choice)
Home made beef stock

Slice onions thin and saute in butter until they just begin to brown.  Pour in wine and a little stock.  Add water to increase volume if necessary.  (Once the alcohol has cooked off you can adjust amount of stock to your taste.)  Simmer for several hours; the longer you cook it the better it is.  I thicken mine with cornstarch but that's not period; you might choose other methods (in period they thickened it with almond milk, I believe).   Serve in bowls sprinkled with grated Parmesan; accompany with great hunks of French bread.

Salt!  Phooey.... who needs it?  <g>

	- kat