SC - OT- More re Lizzie Borden: nothing to do w/lamb!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 30 07:16:11 PST 1997

> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 07:32:14 -0500
> From: margali <margali at 99main.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - RE: Hardly Anyone eats lamb...???
>
> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > By any chance was a test done for ptomaine? This was August, remember,
> > and the trial transcripts do refer to the endless procession of mutton
> > and broth, over a period of several days.
> > Adamantius
> > troy at asan.com
>
> IIRC, no. microbiology was a baby at this time, and they seemed more
> interested in the poison angle because she had tried to buy poison in a
> couple of pharmacies. I suppose the crunched in heads and blood sort of
> made the poison/spoiled food issue rather moot.
> margali

Yep. Kinda like wondering if somebody like Ernie Kovacs or James Dean
(note they are listed in decreasing order of social significance and
talent) died of drug overdoses and/or acute alcohol poisoning shortly
_before_ slamming their cars into solid objects at 120 mph.

Better yet, how about bothering to speculate on the cause of death of
William Wallace? It appears the hanging and the drawing did not, in
fact, kill him, so we have to figure it was _either_ the beheading _or_
the quartering. I figure the decapitation was the act of a period
anaesthesiologist, working to ease the pain of being quartered...;  )

But yes, I recall the much-maligned Ms. Borden being said to have tried
to buy a couple of different poisons in a local shop. I actually am more
interested in the case of Dr. Crippen, where the poison angle was more
relevant, in spite of the more messy stuff having occurred.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com