SC - camp ovens

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Dec 30 07:26:12 PST 1997

Mordonnade asks:
>Okay, now how do I get the darn thing to War, granted I do only live 15 miles
>from Estrella.  My War Wagon is large and sturdy, but I don't think she would
>be up to this task.  And I don't think the park officials would appreciate me
>building a brick building on site.

It’s been done at sites such as Pennsic. I’m not sure what the Estrella Park
rules are. But if you take it down afterwards, perhaps that would work.

>Actually, I do own a couple of Dutch Ovens, but the way I learned to bake in
>them is to bury them on a bed of coals, and all the sites out here frown upon
>fires not raised above the ground.

In all the Dutch oven cookery I’ve done, I never buried the oven. Just put coals
under and on top. Just remember to use a plate to create an air gap with the
bottom of the oven. We had to use a chisel to get out the last of some very
burned on bread when we didn’t do that.

Um. I guess you mean the fire has to be above surface level, not just not
in a pit. I don’t know if you can use a Dutch oven on one of those raised
tripod grills or not.

>Wonder how well it would work to dig a hole, fill it with coals from a raised
>fire, and bake that way?  I'd fill the hole back in later, of course.

If you can dig the pit, that should work too. But if you can dig a pit and
put coals in it, you can probably put charcoal in the pit and light it.

For some other ideas on how various people have made camp ovens and their
experiences take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:

ovens-msg         (56K) 10/ 4/97    Medieval ovens and SCA camp ovens.

My files are available at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous