SC - brewing/mazing/etc

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Wed Dec 31 02:23:03 PST 1997

> Others have already hit on why *I* think it is superior: no wild
> yeastie-beasties or other dreck grows in the vodka. (The stuff I'm
> using in the lock is only about 70 proof, i.e. 35% ethanol.)
> Another advantage over water is that in the remote possibiity the
> fluid in the lock gets sucked back into the fermentation chamber,
> spirits will still tend to remain on the surface of the stuff that
> is happily burbling and reduce the chance of losing the whole batch.

You almost had me sold.  Two ummmm...polite contentions?  (I do so try to
behave on the cooks list, but behaving is ever so difficult for us Pucks
sometimes:-)
1 - if you're making a starter and pitching your yeast at proper times and
temperatures, have aereated well etc etc, vigorous fermentation should
start with 4-6 hours.  Certainly never more than twelve and that would make
me very nervous.  During primary fermentation, you should always have a
positive pressure in your vat from CO2 production.  On rare occasions I
have had a batch blow my water out at high krausen, the water being
displaced with wort.  No way for the fluid to get sucked back in, unless
your playing with the primary vessel (I use plastic for my ale and once
caught my youngest pushing ever so gently on the top to watch the bubbles!
he pushed so hard when I walked in that the water got sucked back in
because he had displaced too much YIKES!).  SO, for point one, either would
work well.  As long as there's fermentation going on > gas being produced >
positive pressure, however slight, in the vat, no SMALLS playing with the
primary, no way for yeastie baesties to get in.

time out whilst I go pour another homebrew :-)

okay ... sip....AHHHHH

2.  IF fluid does happen to get sucked in, why would the spirits stay on
top?  We're not talking oil and water here, alcohol is readily water
soluble.  The problem I see is probably miniscule when talking about five
gallons fermenting vs a shot glass worth in the lock, BUT...  Towards the
end of fermentation, ie the good yeastie beasties have munched all the
sugar and pooted all the CO2 there gonna until you add your primer, the
alcohol level is now high relative to original gravity.  The addition of
high octane at this point, and maybe even earlier, would elevate the
alcohol content, and alcohol kills yeast in high enough concentration.

I'm not yet convinced, but still open to arguement as long as cuskynoles
don't come into the equation.
Any chance of getting someone with a brewers laurel(?) in on this?

> > but I just doesn't unnerstand.
>
> Occupational hazard for being a Puck? <gryn>

hazard? why no milord, Occupational charm, right kat?

> Hope the above expansion / extension assists in your understanding.

not at all, but its making me think, my poor little head hurts, thunk I'll
have another brew.  Then again, picking on Brandu's starting to get
boring.:-)

> > as ever,
> > curiouser and curiouser was Puck
>
> I'd say you've gone right on past "curious" and entered territory
> best described as "strange" by now, good Puck...

Dragonfyr?! I think he's pickin' on me (pout pout) Margali?  Kat?  Anybody?
 wher's he get off callin' me good? (pout pout, much scuffing of the shoe)

Guess I'll have to stand on my own two cloven hooves, Puck