SC - brewing/mazing/etc

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Wed Dec 31 02:42:16 PST 1997

> What fluid is in the airlock makes a difrrence. If you use unclean water
> in the airlock there is a (small) danger that is may be sucked down into
> the fermenting mead when the temperature changes or slosh around when
> the fermenter is moved. Cheap vodka is clean and sanitary and nothing
> will live in it. Cheap vodka does not attract spiders like water does.
> (Yes, you will occasionally find a spider in your airlock, don't panic,
> just sanitize another one and replace it.)
>
> A good question, m'dear, no need to apologise.
>
> Crystal of the Westermark

Not trying to be flippant milady, but Pucks value their libations rather
highly, and NOTHING unclean enters my brewery (ceptin maybe my mind).  My
smalls have not yet figured out how to not piss their mother off (rather
important info I should think?), but they can sanitize the dickens out of
the brewery, as that was a prereq to me letting them make their own soda.
Pucks may play dirty, but we is essentially clean.

As far as temperature changes and sloshing, I'm fortunate enough to be
allowed about ten square feet in my house for my stuff (if you didn't catch
the sarcasm in that, I quit!), and once put in the primary, my stuff
doesn't move until kegged.  As a steam snipe, I find it hard to believe a
concientious brewer could encounter temperature changes drastic enough to
change saturation pressures enough to create a vacuum.  I'm not saying
using spirits is bad, I'm just not yet convinced its so good.

feeling tenacious, contumacious and flirtatious, Puck