SC - Beer (year-end note)

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 31 12:53:39 PST 1997

Since the discussion about various beers about a month ago, I've had
a chance to sample some of the types which had not yet cross'd my
palate. I've got some comments which may help others...

Happy New Year A.D. 1998,
and celebrate sensibly!
Amra

- ---Nick Sasso <grizly at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > > (Seriously; thank you, Robert; I did suspect that the "weiss"
> > > was "white," but I didn't realize it was related to "wheat."

My encounter with a hefeweissen may not be typical, but I found it
to be very sweet. For those who believe in such things, I would
suggest these as an alternative to dessert wines if setting up a
"beef-for-wine" experience. (Was an ill choice to accompany the
potato soup and broccoli fritter-things I was eating at the time,
would have been interesting as an accompaniment to apple or pear
cobbler.)

> TO ALL:  Beers come in some 32+ modern STYLES. That does not
> equate to brands. Bud, Miller, Coors, and the like are one STYLE.
> The beer world was stymied by prohibition in this country.
> Do allow yourself the luxury of trying some new styles: pilsner,
> stout, porter, belgian ale, scotch ale, wit, abbet ale,
> oktoberfest, brown ale, bitters, the list goes ever on.
> fra niccolo difransco

Scotch ale was an experience. Not one I will repeat often, but
satisfying all the same. Went well with the chicken dish I had
chosen for my meal, but would have been better with lamb or pork
roast, I'd wager.

Stout is something I'd already tried in the past, and can appreciate
upon occasion. My personal preference is to mix with a lager ("Half
and Half" or "Black&Tan", I'm not that picky). Goes well with hearty
beef stews and soda bread; also interesting with rye bread and a
full-flavoured cheese such as a sharp chedder or even (don't hit me
for mixing cuisine nationalities, please) one of the lesser blues.

"Honey wheat" beers may be a recent fad, but may provide an
alternative to folk who don't care for "dark" beer yet have not been
satisfied by the typical American standard lagers.

In commercially available non-specialty beers here in the USA, I
recommend a brand I "grew up with" but has become difficult if not
impossible to find in Oklahoma and Texas: Stag. More flavor than
most lagers, yet not overpowering -- to my taste, a poor-man's
Samuel Adams.

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com