SC - bacteria

Richard Kappler II rkappler at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 1 00:00:25 PST 1997

Cadoc wrote:

When you're hot smoking you need to keep the temperature around 280F (130C?
mental guess) to kill any bacteria.  I know bacteria aren't period, but our
immune systems aren't as strong as our elders.

Welll......according to BuMed (back off squids, they may be a pain, but they
are usually right and distilling is my thang.......)  Thou shalt not distill
in brackish waters, landlocked waters etc etc or within 12 miles of land etc
etc, unless the Captain shall bless/order such distillation...etc etc

Anyway, the point being, we of the navular bent keep our distilling temps
above 168 F to kill the bacteria.  Below that, not everything dies.  Mind
you, temperature does little against virus in this range.  Dunno if this
applies, but I imagine that bacteria is bacteria is bacteria, and if you've
made potable water in some of the places I've had to and lived, 168 F seems
like a pretty good number.

back to watching Fred and Ethel, Puck