Re(2): SC - Re: Alcohol & the SCA

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 11 06:37:09 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> As I am always looking for new additions to my herb garden, I was wondering
> if you could post the variety of gillyflower you mention above? I am
> currently growing Dianthus in my herb garden and the variety I have blooms
> right up until they are cut down by frost if I keep the spent blossoms
> picked. I am always looking for more "period" type  varieties and would find
> this information invaluable. Thanks in advance.
>
> Lord Ras

'Fraid I can't help you with that one. Perhaps a garden catalog would
have some information on clove pinks?

My information on the growth seasons is something I have never
personally tested, so I can't swear to its veracity.

Just a further blab or two on this subject: Hieatt and Butler seem to
feel that the reference to "clowes gilfre" in Utilis Coquinario are to
the spice, cloves, or to use the more precise German term, Speissnageln
(Spice Nails). With one exception that I've been able to find, the
recipes in the source manuscript for Utilis Coquinario specify, in
recipes calling for flowers, that the ingredient is "flowers of_____".
This is true of hawthorne, appletree, primroses, violets, and bean
plants. As I say, the one exception appears to be roses, in a recipe
simply calling for roses.

Adamantius
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.