SC - sulfa and sulfites

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 15:55:40 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Is this Russian Cherry Soup period? Sounds like it probably isn't. Could
> you please post this recipe anyway? Or send to me by email? It sounds
> interesting.

I suspect that it probably is period, or derived from some earlier
version that is. An earlier version of the "Syrosye" recipe calls for
the inclusion of "vlehs gret", or great flesh, which is probably chunks
or slices of a large joint cooked (or partly cooked) whole and
separately, either by boiling or roasting. The thickening of bread
crumbs suggests it is quite early, too. Actually the Russian Cherry Soup
sounds like borscht made with cherries. (Doesn't borscht just mean soup
anyway? But you know what I mean.)

> I've only occasionaaly found fresh cherries in the grocery and they were
> probably the sweet kind. Anyone know how/where to get these sour cherries?

They can be bought at Middle Eastern, Eastern European (and Russian ;
)  ) markets. Usually packed in jars of sour cherry juice. Sometimes
pitted, sometimes not.

> What kind(s) of cherries were known in medieval europe?

I believe Montmorenceys are period. They were brought to the New World
early on. Bing cherries, probably the most common American variety, are
quite late indeed (like late 19th, early 20th century). Other than that
I don't know.

Adamantius
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.