SC - Cherries and wine

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 14 08:36:18 PDT 1997

Hi,

Once again we are on the subject of allergies and other food problems.  I
sometimes feel a little insensitive but my feeling is that if I publish a list of
the courses ahead of time and a list of ingredients at the event, as well as
making allowances for people that call asking about ingredients, I'm doing my part
for the food allergies, religious prohibitions, and moral discretions.  I try
to be mindful of the people out there and deal with the most common problems, i.e.
I won't serve just pork for a meal, I try to have enough dishes that vegetarians
will walk away satisfied, etc...  But I just can't make allowances for every type
of problem that walks into my feast hall.

Someone called me when I was doing my last feast and asked if there was any pepper
in any of my dishes.  Um, yeah, just about all of them actually.  I can't go and
prepare 500 different meals for each individual preference.  I do everything that
I can to provide for my guests but sometimes I just have to tell them to bring
their own dinner and I will try to make them comfortable.

The happiness of my diners is of great importance to me but sometimes all I can do
is provide ingredient lists and use common sense in the kitchen.

Yours,

Gunthar
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.